Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After


I worked the polls yesterday which turned out to be rather grueling duty. At our place, we had 2 precincts and a steady 2-hour line all day. I pretty much kept my head down and focused on what was right in front of me the entire 12 hours. We felt lucky that we did not have people in line when the polls closed at 7 PM so we did not have to stay late. I came home exhausted and followed a little news. I called friends who were at a raucous party hosted by die-hard Democrats in their neighborhood and was on the phone with them when they announced Pennsylvania for Obama -- but I soon went to bed. The clock radio went off this morning about 4:30 (??) and I half-asleep listened to NPR for an hour. It registered in my dreamy brain that Obama had clinched it and I went back to sleep until time to get up. Rather anti-climatic for such a big event but it's OK.
Inauguration day will be a moving because of all of the historical significance and oh yeah, because the war in Iraq will end sooner, and we might start negotiating and working with the UN and we might begin to address global warming and change the deal where the richest 1/2% of the country absorbs any economic progress we manage to make and healthcare might stop eating us alive and the Supreme Court might uphold that the Government should not accompany me when I visit my doctor and you know, stuff like that.
Since nothing happened in South Carolina yesterday that couldn't have been predicted a year ago, I have enjoyed watching what is happening in North Carolina. Beverly Perdue! Kay Hagen -- from Greensboro! At play in the Presidential race and ultimately going for Obama! These are huge changes!
The big disappointment is that Suzanne Reynolds did not win her race for Supreme Court Judge. Apparently she ran a great campaign in what should not have been a competitive race and she came very close to winning, so I'm sure great opportunities are ahead for her. But still. . .

No comments: