Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ready for Anything

Back in the day, I thought I was thinking ahead when I made the rule: "Never set out to go anywhere without a corkscrew." My travel emergency kit consisted of jumper cables, a tampon, and always, a corkscrew.

Today, in preparation for holiday weekend travel, I knew I needed to clean out the trunk. After 5 years married to a disaster preparedness guy, here's some of what I found in my trunk: -- all of which I am told we "need to have."
  • 4 bottles of water
  • suntan lotion and bug spray
  • duct tape
  • a bath towel and a wash cloth
  • a small fleece blanket
  • leather work gloves
  • 3 umbrellas
  • 2 flashlights -- both with working batteries
  • a sleeve of quarters
  • 5 bungie cords
  • an insulated cold storage bag
  • a first aid kit where the band aids are at least 5 years old
  • an assortment of wrenches and screwdrivers
  • a city map and a phone book
  • a pair of crocs (for emergency gardening?)
  • a raincoat
  • and a corkscrew
Space for suitcases and beach chairs is shrinking.

No comments: